Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11, 2011


I don't really have a personal 9/11 story to share.
I lived far away form New York on that day and was too young to get it.
I could tell something devastating had happened, but I didn't know anyone who lived here and had never even been to New York City so I didn't quite feel a personal loss at the time.
Flash forward 10 years later and I am living literally across the street from "ground zero."
I have noticed that it is something people living here still think about on a daily basis.
It was a life changing experience for them.
Being here on the anniversary yesterday, it was kind of an eerie feeling.
We watched a documentary on the History Chanel last night and saw what our neighborhood looked like a decade ago to the day.
People were running for their lives, ashes and inch thick covered the streets for blocks, and a lot of people lost their friends, family members, coworkers, etc.
In a city where people can sometimes be a little cold and often keep to themselves, I was surprised to see through the footage how New Yorkers came together on that day.
Complete strangers were picking each other up off the streets, offering a shoulder to cry on, and holding onto each other when it seemed like the world was ending.
That is not something you see everyday.

I took this picture on my phone while walking home from dinner on Saturday night. This new building is called the Freedom Tower and is being built at ground zero. It is already HUGE, towering over the tallest buildings downtown and is only about 3/4 of the way done. It was all lit up in red, white, and blue for the anniversary. Ty couldn't see the red bc of his colorblindness lol.

I didn't take this picture but I found it online and just thought it was so cool. The two pillars of light are commemorating the twin towers.

You have to make reservations to go see the memorial at ground zero and it is completely booked for the next month, but we will definitely be checking it out once the crowds die down.

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping you'd do a post about this since you live in NYC - you're one of my very few connections there. So crazy that you live RIGHT THERE.

    ReplyDelete